Wednesday, May 4, 2011

West with the Night by Beryl Markham



I really liked this book. I got my copy from the library, but it's one I would like to add to my collection. It's been labeled a classic because of its portrayal of early 20th century Africa--a time that has been romantically portrayed in many books and movies.

This is a memoir. Beryl Markham was born in England in 1902 and was taken by her father to East Africa in 1906. She learned horse breeding and training from him and struck out on her own doing this when she was just 17. Years later, when she was in her late twenties and early thirties, she learned to fly and carried mail, passengers and supplies in her small plane all over Africa. She ends her memoirs by writing about her flight in September 1936--solo across the Atlantic from east to west. She was the second person to do it and the first woman to do it. (Some accounts claim she was the first person to do it).

Not only was her life very interesting, but her writing is absolutely captivating. She's witty, self deprecating, wise and very entertaining. I loved her voice. Upon investigating her life further, I found she had left out MANY details of her life, some rather scandalous. She was apparently pretty wild. Our book club enjoyed discussing how so many of her life choices (that were not chronicled in the book) seem to belie her wisdom and warmth that come through so clearly in this book. It was truly a joy to read. I don't know if I'd have liked Beryl Markham in person, but I certainly do in her memoirs.

No comments:

Post a Comment