Sunday, May 8, 2011

Acts of Violets by Kate Collins



This is one of a series of mysteries all starring flower shop owner Abigail Knight. I think this is the 4th or 5th. In this one, Abby Knight is threatened by a clown who ends up being murdered. Abby is shocked to find that her boyfriend, Marco, is the main suspect! He is a part time PI but can't investigate his own case so he asks for her help. She must unravel the mystery to save him from prison.

I usually dislike mysteries where the detective is an ordinary Joe. It just seems so unnatural. First of all, what innocent and upstanding citizen is involved in ONE murder investigation, let alone multiple investigations!? Seems like if there's a person who commonly gets herself involved in unsavory events, it might be that SHE'S the unsavory one. But! TV series are made and book series are enjoyed that are based upon just such a premise. And I really did like this book.

Of course, me being me, the reason I like this book is probably because I really liked the main character, Abby Knight. And the chemistry between her and her boyfriend was perfect. I was amazed that Ms. Collins wrote an interesting mystery--with a seriously sexy love interest for the main character--without any foul language or sex!

It was an easy and quick read with no jarring language or situations. I guess this kind of mystery would be described as a "cozy"--one of my two favorite types of mysteries (the other being police procedurals). I found Kate Collins to be a charming writer and I'll be reading more by her.

No comments:

Post a Comment