Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Too Close to Home by Lynette Eason




This one was a Christian mystery. Who knew there were so many Christian genres, eh? It's set in the modern day and is a police procedural--my favorite kind of mystery.

I really enjoyed it. I was hooked pretty much from the beginning and didn't stir far from my comfy chair until it was finished. I found the characters likeable and believable. I found the mystery engrossing. I liked the relationships between all the main characters. There was a lot of killing--I admit I like it much better when the characters that are killed off are not ones that I like or that get relatively well developed.

The religion in here didn't quite feel natural. The religious phrases (you know how each Christian denomination has almost its own language) often felt trite and meaningless to me. I think the quoted scriptures and other religious maxims could have been used to better effect. They almost felt like merely "lip service" in some places. There were, though, several religious parts that were touching--the letter from the cop that was killed, the reaction of the church to the shooting, the fellowship of church youth. Those were all very good. So I guess there were parts that did feel meaningful, it's just that the religious applications didn't feel completely consistent throughout the book. That's kind of nitpicking, though--it was a good book!

I really did not find much to complain of in this book And I am always grateful for these Christian books that are are squeaky clean and have so many uplifting elements. I especially liked this one and I just may have to buy the next one in the series (it's NOT free--curses!).

No comments:

Post a Comment