Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Murder in the Pit by Erica Miner




This was a terribly written book! The characters were one dimensional and stereotypical, the plot was full of holes and the writing was stiff. The resolution of the mystery was awkward and unrealistic. The group around which her plot revolves are all around the same age, supposedly, but when you meet the characters during the course of the book, some seem in their 50s, some in their 20s. Imagine my surprise when I was told (at the end of the story) that they were all schoolmates! I also could see who the bad guy was very early in the book, which is kind of disappointing. AND the main character, who can't stand to be touched and who hasn't allowed herself to be touched by ANYONE--even those she loves--for years, has casual sex (no descriptions)!! What? What kind of character consistency is that? Finally, I always feel like it's cheating when the bad guy turns out to be a functional psychopath. Especially when everything else in the book doesn't really hang together either. Sigh. When I read a book like this I always think: "Even I could do better than this!!" So disappointing!

The only good thing about this book was its setting--in an orchestra. It was interesting to get an insider's glimpse of that. Otherwise, this book was a complete disappointment.

No comments:

Post a Comment