Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The Pastor's Wife by Jennifer Allee



I read this as an e-book (it was free! I'm such a tightwad when it comes to a book I can't hold in my hands).

This is a story of a pastor and his estranged wife finding their way back to each other. She also finds her way back to the church. It's an interesting book. Not outstanding, but interesting and generally uplifting.

Some of the situations felt rather contrived. Really, after 6 years apart, they wait for intimacy until their congregation feels okay about it? Strange. Also, her big secret and his reaction to it seemed overly dramatic. I think that's a situation that's tragic to some and natural to others. To me it didn't seem to merit the pastor's extreme reaction. I also felt his reaction was out of step with his general character and his tolerance and acceptance of his wife's return and her struggles back into a relationship with him and with God. He really was generous about it--just as you'd expect a man of God to be. Except about the secret--which wasn't really so horrible. He just flew off the handle in an uncharacteristic way. I thought the "secret" part was kind of lame.

Other than that, it was a lightweight, pleasant and moderately religious story. I enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment