Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Promised to a Stranger by Kate Collins




I bought this e-book--yes I actually paid money for it!!--because I really liked another Kate Collins book, "Act of Violets" --such a cute mystery and clean too! But this one--not so much. It was rather disappointing.

For one thing, this historical romance had the one thing above all others that I REALLY dislike to see in historical romance--premarital sex scenes. You can't tell me that the majority of "good" girls and men in those days had sex in haylofts or bedrooms or in carriages or whatever BEFORE marriage!! Aaaugh! Drives me crazy! This one had two premarital sex scenes and one post marital sex scene. And they felt so matter-of-fact, so ho-hum, so I-just-put-it-in-because-the-editor-required-it. Ugh. That alone was a dealbreaker to me. I should have just quit reading after the first unlikely encounter. But that's the seductive thing about an entertaining story--you're likely to finish what you start even after you encounter something you object to. Sigh.

But I also disliked the whole premise of this book. There were so many unnecessary lies told by our main female character! I actually almost didn't like her.

On the upside, it was an engaging book. Once I started it, I really did want to finish it. Yeah, that's the upside. I think from now on I'll stick to Kate Collins' mysteries.

No comments:

Post a Comment