Wednesday, May 18, 2011

A Marked Man by Barbara Hamilton



I totally loved this book! It's historical fiction--a mystery solved by none other than Abigail Adams. It was set in Boston during the time of the British occupation. A British man is murdered and an American patriot is accused.

Lots of times when a "detective" character is just a regular person, I feel that the detecting is contrived. But Abigail just set out to help a friend and asked questions in a fashion that felt natural and easy. Her character is totally likeable. The mystery is very enjoyable and I figured it out JUST before Abigail did--what a great ending!

But the best part about this book was the way it brought history alive for me. This period in history--when America was becoming--is my all-time favorite one and the Adams are some of my most beloved patriots. This made this book especially enjoyable for me. I didn't feel that Barbara Hamilton took liberties with the characters of the patriots she includes in her story, but that she gave just enough detail to make it all feel real. I believe that this book is part of a series too, and that's a happy thing! I really enjoyed this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment