Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Slightly Single by Wendy Markham



This is part of the "chicklit" genre that I really dislike. But there are a few key differences that make me actually kind of like this book. First of all the journey of our main character, Tracy, felt genuine to me. Her unfolding realization of the situation she had allowed to develop in her relationship with her boyfriend and within her own heart felt very natural to me. Also, this book wasn't all about hooking up with that one perfect guy. It was about unhooking up with that one guy who absolutely WASN'T perfect. That made this book interesting to me.

There was sex here, but no sex scenes. It's just taken for granted that single people who like each other have sex. I don't like that assumption, but it wasn't the main theme of this book. There are also some very likeable homosexual characters. If that's offensive to you, you'll want to skip this book.

I was hesitant to record this book on my blog just cuz it's the kind of book I typically avoid--just not what I like to read. I grabbed it at the library because it looked like a journey book rather than a boy/girl relationship book. And it turned out to be a bit of both, with plenty of "modern" lifestyle assumptions included. But I decided to put it on the blog because I appreciated the message of the book--being true to self, asking hard questions, doing the right thing even when it's painful. If I'd known what this book was really about before I read it, I'd probably have given it a miss. But I did read it and even though it's not the kind of book I like to read, it had some things to say that were worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment