Monday, February 28, 2011

The Montmartre Investigation by Claude Izner



This is a Victor Legris mystery--it was translated from the French and it takes place in late 19th century France, the "heyday of the cafes-concert and night-clubs, which embodied all the modernity and daring of belle-epoque Paris" (quoted from the afterword in the novel). The famous Moulin Rouge (which is still around, by the way) is the setting for several encounters in the course of this mystery.

I really felt like I was in 19th century Paris when I read this book. It was full of atmosphere. I loved that about it. It was also just a little bit confusing because of all the French names and the French phrases. I speak absolutely no French, so I got a little bit muddled from time to time. However, the story itself was involved and interesting and the ending was unexpected. I really like our main character Victor Legris, with his cleverness, his jealousy and his passion for his love, Tasha. Of course, this is Paris and everyone has his mistress. Tasha and Victor are passionately in love and have plenty of sex, but they aren't married. And the sex isn't graphic. They are a very sympathetic couple; I loved them both.

It was a fun book to read. I enjoyed it. Will I read another Victor Legris mystery? Perhaps.

No comments:

Post a Comment