Monday, February 28, 2011

Beauty Sleep by Cameron Dokey



This YA book is subtitled, "A Retelling of 'Sleeping Beauty'", which is just what it is.

I found this to be engaging and charming. I am a sucker for any fairy tale retelling--I just love fairy tales. This was kind of a "journey" book (have you noticed how many fantasy tales are journey tales?) and a love story too, with not a lot of emphasis on the love story. I especially liked how Aurore's affection for her true love evolved--it was not an obvious pairing from the first, although there were clues along the way for the reader to pick up. I also liked the way Cameron Dokey dealt with the 100 year sleep--Disney just bypassed it, as do most retellings, but Cameron Dokey included it, with a twist.

I liked the book a lot. It was a cute retelling of one of my very favorite fairy tales.

No comments:

Post a Comment