Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Macbeth, The Graphic Novel



I so love this book!! I'd love to have every one of this classic book series on my shelves--the original text AND the quick text version.

So... it's graphic novel of Shakespeare's "Macbeth", which is pretty cool to begin with and a great place to start before reading the play in all its iambic pentameteric goodness. But this company (www.classicalcomics.com) does these graphic books with three versions of text: the original text in the speech balloons (wow!), a simpified version of the original text which they call "plain text" and a VERY simplified version which they call "quick text". This version was the quick text one and it was very easy to understand.

At the end of the story, the classical comics people have included some background information about the true story of Macbeth and some other interesting tidbits. Very cool. In future I'll start every study of Shakespeare with my kids (and for myself) with one of these graphic novels. It's a great way to get the story in one's head before tackling Shakespeare's beautiful (and sometimes confusing) prose.

No comments:

Post a Comment