Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Bryant and May off the Rails by Christopher Fowler



This was a British mystery--a police procedural of a sort, only not Scotland Yard or anything like that, but A Peculiar Crimes Unit police procedural. I never got clear on the difference between the regular British police force and the Peculiar Crimes Unit--I didn't understand the need for both departments. The book itself was interesting, but not outstanding. Rather forgettable, in fact. I liked reading it, but don't feel inclined to read any more of the series. I think it was because I didn't really feel connected to any of the main characters--I just didn't care about them enough to read more about them. The story itself was not compelling either--engaging, but not compelling.

One very positive note is that this story was not smutty at all. That's always a good thing. And the mystery itself was interesting and not too transparent. I hate it when I can guess the ending ahead of time! Hmm, maybe I will try to read another of this series to see if I can engage more effectively with the main characters. So many books...so little time!!

No comments:

Post a Comment