Thursday, June 28, 2012

The Skies of Pern by Anne McCaffrey

There was a time when I was an avid reader of all things by Anne McCaffrey. I LOVED her Pern series and gobbled up each book as it was released. I believe I've read every single book she's written, even the early ones! However, like so many current authors, her books are all too often less about the story and more about social commentaries and this book is very much in that vein. I think I have lost my taste for the Pern series.

If you have been keeping up with current events on Pern, you will know that the Red Star has been moved out of its dangerous orbit in regards to Pern and that, after this turn, thread will no longer fall. This means that the dragonriders must find another occupation in order to support themselves, since the holds and halls will no longer be tithed to support them in return for their services to Pern. This book chronicles, in large part, this search for and discovery of a meaningful future for the dragonriders.

I was engaged throughout the whole book, as is usual for me with any of McCaffrey's books. I have loved getting lost in her stories for many years. But I found this one particularly heavy handed with its messages of sexual freedom, liberality, tolerance and "down with tradition"! I still read the earlier Pern books with enjoyment, but this one is not nearly as transporting.

Pause for an airing of another one of my opinions (go ahead and skip to the last little paragraph if you want):

 I acknowledge that every author includes his/her opinions and points of view in each book he/she writes. One of the things I really like to do is discover a hidden message, to winkle out how I, as the reader, have been led to feel or think a certain way, to like or dislike a particular character. Mysteries are fun because they trick the reader and then surprise him at the end! Romances are entertaining because they mislead the reader, gently manipulating her emotions all through each book. This is one of the things I really enjoy about reading. But what I do NOT like is when I can really feel myself being manipulated. I look for the subtleties, the ambiguities that gently nudge the reader but still leave room for ambivalence. To be honest, I like best when either a book A) completely agrees with my personal point of view (don't we all!!) or B) challenges my thinking in a subtle way, making me ask questions, but not forcing me into a defensive position.

This book fails to do this. The storyline is still entertaining--Anne McCaffrey is so good at that!! But the social messages that are shoved down the reader's throat are so loud that they distract too much from McCaffrey's fine storytelling. This is an unbalanced book.

Still, if you like Pern, you'll find it a good read.


No comments:

Post a Comment