Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain

This review is by Isaiah, age 14

This book is about a boy called Huckleberry Finn who ran away with a runaway slave named Jim. They build themselves a raft and go on many adventures on the Mississippi River. It's set in the South during the time of slavery, in the 1880s.

My opinion on this book is that the language is hard to understand. Not only is it older language, but there is a lot of slang, especially from Jim. This made the language very hard to understand.I didn't particularly enjoy reading the book, but I didn't mind listening to the book (on CD). I suppose the book is more enjoyable and easier to read if the reader already knows about the storyline, so next time I read a book like this I'll read a summary or some sort of short version first before I read the full length novel itself.

I enjoyed the story very much, though, especially the part where Huckleberry Finn needed Tom Sawyer's help to get Jim out of jail (after he had been recaptured). The beginning of the book wasn't half bad either.

I know this book is a "classic" and I think it's worth reading. But I recommend that the young reader looks up the storyline first so they go into the novel with a good idea of what is going on.


No comments:

Post a Comment