Saturday, June 2, 2012

Murder on Gramercy Park by Victoria Thompson

This is a mystery that takes place around the turn of the century in New York City.

Sarah Brandt, a midwife from a socially prominent family, is summoned by Detective Sergeant Frank Malloy to assist the wife of Edmund Blackwell, a magnetic healer. Mrs. Blackwell is in labor upstairs, and downstairs Mr. Blackwell is dead, apparently by his own hand. Detective Malloy would like Sarah to just stick with her midwife responsibilities, but of course she won't. They've worked together before, so they have a friendly relationship. Their relationship, as a matter of fact, is one of the most charming parts of the book.

I liked this book. It's part of a series, I believe. Victoria Thompson has been compared to Anne Perry. I like Anne Perry. I liked this book. The mystery was interesting and the main characters were very likeable. I particularly liked a book set at this point in history in The U.S. There are so many that are set in Britain, it seems. I liked reading about my own country's history.

No comments:

Post a Comment