Saturday, June 2, 2012

Frederick Wentworth Captain "None But You" by Susan Kaye

This is book one in Susan Kaye's two-volume retelling of Jane Austen's Persuasion. This version, as you can tell from its title, is Miss Austen's story from the point of view of Captain Frederick Wentworth.

I've read many spin-offs of the Austen books, but I think this one and its companion, For You Alone may be the best of the ones I've read. I really liked Captain Wentworth's voice. I felt that Susan Kaye's account of Frederick's activities when he was "off stage" in Jane Austen's book were consistent with what we know of him and with what we know of Persuasion. Of course, it was not perfect, but there were no glaring faults that distracted from the flow of the story. I liked it a lot.

FYI, this book ends shortly after Louisa Musgrove falls during their pleasure trip to Lyme. Then of course you won't be able to rest until you acquire and read the second half of the story. Sigh. I can't help but feel that when authors do this their primary purpose is to double dip into my wallet. Why else would they split up this story? Urgh.

No comments:

Post a Comment