Monday, March 19, 2012

Sweet Misfortune by Kevin Alan Milne


The first time I read this book I really liked it because it has two elements that I love to find in a book. One: all the ends are neatly tucked in--there are no loose ends, the plot is almost circular in design (think of "Holes" or "Edward Trencom's Nose"). Two: the main character experiences change and personal growth. I am a sucker for novels (or movies) with these two elements and this book has both.

However, upon a second reading, I didn't like it nearly as much--it seemed a little flat somehow. But I'm going to go with my initial impression--this book was a fun read with an uplifting conclusion.

The story is centered around Sophie Jones and the car accident that killed her parents when she was 10 years old. She's 29 now, with a rather dark outlook on life...until a series of events changes her perspective completely. I think it was that change in perspective that really "got" me in my first reading of the book.

There's a little romance in this book, and, although Sophie's growth is prompted by her relationship with her ex-fiancee, romance is by no means the big story here (and it's a good thing too, because there is very little chemistry between Sophie and her sweetheart). This is not a religious book, but it does have an uplifting message. There is no swearing and no sex. It's an engaging story with a satisfying ending. If it's a little pat and a little too sweet, it didn't affect my enjoyment of the book. I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment