Monday, March 26, 2012

A Scholar of Magics by Caroline Stevermer

Okay. I loved this book. It was written by the co-author of Sorcery and Cecelia, which I also loved. A Scholar of Magics was book two in this little series. The first book is A College of Magics and to those of you who read books in strict chronological order, I'm so sorry that I read #2 before I read #1. I can't wait to read that first book, though.

This book is about Glasscastle, a university of magic in Britain, and the intrigue that takes place there one summer in the early twentieth-century. We first meet Samuel Lambert, an American sharp-shooter who has been recruited by the faculty at Glasscastle to take part in research for one of their new inventions. Soon after we meet him, we meet our female protagonist, Jane Brailsford, a professor from an all-women's school of magic, come to spend some time with her brother, a faculty member at Glasscastle. Why has she come visiting at this time? We soon find out, as her visit is the beginning of some intrigue at Glasscastle that will ensnare Lambert as well.

This book started out a wee bit slowly but before very many pages I was totally engaged. I loved Lambert and Jane. I fell under the spell of Glasscastle. I was taken in by the mystery of the man with the bowler hat. I can't wait to read all the rest of Caroline Stevermer's books. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment