Saturday, May 3, 2014

In Spite of Thunder by John Dickson Carr

Another vintage mystery...this one was published in 1960 and stars the celebrated and intelligent Dr. Gideon Fell.

Hoping to prevent a murder, Mr. Ferrier, husband of the beautiful Eve Ferrier, (who could be a murderess herself), calls in Dr. Gideon Fell. Can he prevent the murder Mr. Ferrier fears? Does Eve Ferrier's past have anything to do with the future that her husband fears? And can Dr. Fell's friend Brian Innes keep young Audrey Page from getting in the middle of the whole dangerous situation?

Well, I found this book confusingly convoluted. I also did NOT like Audrey Page, who I think was supposed to be one of the most sympathetic characters in the novel. I found her to be spoiled and irritating, always running off when she was told to stay put and stay out of danger (duh! I've got no patience with heroines who run into danger. Who does that?). Too often the tone of the book seemed a little bit hysterical and, to top it off, I really didn't care for Dr. Gideon Fell. I don't think he inspired confidence. He was so self-effacing that I found myself agreeing with him when he claimed to be scatterbrained. Hm.

I think I've read one or two other John Dickson Carrs, but I do not like his writing style and I think I may be giving him a pass from now on. He's a big name in "the macabre, horror, evil and uncanny deduction" (according to the teaser at the beginning of this book), but his style isn't my favorite.

Bad language: nope
Sex: nope

No comments:

Post a Comment