Saturday, May 3, 2014

Agent In Place by Helen MacInnes

I so enjoy these Helen MacInnes novels! This one was written 1976 and chronicles yet another cold war incident (fictional, of course).

Here we meet physically unexceptional (just right for a secret agent, right?), charming, ultra-competent British secret agent Tony Lawton. His friendship with Tom Kelso and his beautiful wife, Thea, both of whom become accidentally involved in a Russian plot against NATO, lead our Tony into an affair that he may not escape from alive. (Did you see how long that sentence was?)

I remained totally engaged in this story despite the fact that it was an account of a relatively small incident. Seems like so many political suspense stories usually involve world domination or destruction or something...but this one is about Russian spies and their attempts to infiltrate NATO. Nothing world-ending about it, but still very interesting. I love Helen MacInnes!

In fact, I am to the accidental-double-buying phase in my collection-building process of all of Helen MacInnes' books. Yup. Much to the delight of my daughter (who gets my accidental doubles), I now have read enough Helen MacInnes to kind of lose track of what I already own. Time to start putting lists on my phone. I keep thinking I'll remember what I've read, but I walk into a used bookstore and my mind goes blank. (Same thing happens to me in grocery stores--when faced with all those choices, I totally forget what I came for). Ha!

Bad language: no
Sex: no

No comments:

Post a Comment