Monday, May 19, 2014

A Wanted Man by Lee Child

Yup, finally I have begun reading the Jack Reacher books. I have a friend who recommended them to me. I saw the Tom Cruise version of Jack on Netflix one time (little man Tom Cruise as very big man Jack Reacher? Really? Hm.). And I even bought this book at Costco and stuck it on my shelf a few months ago. But now my son has started reading the series and I kinda want to see what he's reading. He's all grown up, so it's not like I gotta check these things out for his protection, but I'm curious... And he'll be flattered that I'm reading what he's reading. Ha.

So, I started with "The Affair" (which I cannot recommend because of the gratuitous sex that it contained), but my son assured me that most Jack Reachers don't have that stuff. I think he's read, like, one or two, so he probably can't really assure me anything about "most" of them, but I thought I'd try another. So I picked up this one from my shelf (I had kind of forgotten it was there!). And it was free of all sex scenes. So there you go.

In this book our Jack, who apparently is capable of vanquishing any bad guy, hitches a ride with the wrong group of people. He gets in the car with 2 friendly men and one quiet woman and gets himself into a very complicated situation. Secrets, adventure, danger....and you know what I mean.

I liked the book. And I'll read more (unless they're more like "The Affair" than they are like this one). I like invincible heroes. I like spy stories. I like cops and robbers, especially when the cops win (unless the robbers are more worthy, of course :D). It was a very engaging book.

Bad language: a sprinkling of cursing--no f-words (which for me are the deal breakers)
Sex: none

1 comment:

  1. Update on Jack Reacher: I've taken a break from Reacher books. Most of them DO have sex scenes. How is Reacher so irresistible to women? And he doesn't offer any kind of permanency, you know, yet all these women seem to find this completely acceptable. Hm. Anyway, it also seems that most Reacher books have lots of bad language as well. And of course there's plenty of violence too. I still do like invincible heroes and spy stories and all of that. But I need a break from Jack Reacher. Those books were starting to bother me. I do still have a few on my "to read" shelf, so I'll probably read them sometime. Later. :)

    ReplyDelete