Monday, May 19, 2014

Gideon's March by J.J. Marric

I found this book in some little store full of "vintage" kitsch somewhere in Boise Idaho. The shop was stuffed with overpriced junk, mostly, but different things appeal to different people, of course, and I found a few books that I considered a sort of treasure and I'm sure others find their nuggets as well...

But of course when I got home I found that I already had this book, only with a much less interesting cover. Sigh. I need a better portable system of remembering what books I own, since my own built-in portable system (my memory) doesn't seem to be working properly. Fortunately, that faulty memory also allows me to enjoy re-reading books, especially if there are years between readings. Ha. So I read this one again and I didn't remember anything about it. Nice. (And a bit alarming at the same time.)

I really, really like Commander George Gideon. I think he might be my favorite literary policeman. He's stoic, pensive without being maudlin, impressive without being arrogant. He's smart, experienced, a good family man, a considerate boss. I just like him. In this particular series installment, Commander Gideon is put in charge of preparing his force for a summit conference to take place in London. Important statesmen must be protected from possible attacks...and at the same time regular crime investigation must continue to take place. I thoroughly enjoy J.J. Marric's Gideon books.

Bad language: possibly a few mild curse words...but maybe not. I don't remember any.
Sex: nope

No comments:

Post a Comment