Saturday, September 7, 2013

Scent of the Missing by Susannah Charleson

     A friend from one of my book clubs recommended I join bookbub and I did! So I've been getting emails every day with book "deals", meaning e-books for 99 cents, books for free, and books that cost just a few dollars. Fun! I already discovered that if I buy just ONE 99 cent book a day, then I'll be spending $30 on ebooks every month! Mind you, that's just the e-books from bookbub. That doesn't count the other e-books I buy, or the paper books I buy. Ahem. So I am trying to be choosy.
     Anyway, this book is one of the books from bookbub. It wasn't free and I wanted to read it but, mindful of my book budget, I checked it out from the library. And I'm glad that I didn't buy it.
     Because...although this book was cute, it wasn't as good as I had hoped. I was hoping for stories of search-and-rescue experiences. And there were some of those, yes. But I was disappointed that almost none of those stories included a resolution of the searches! I wondered if that is the reality for these volunteer searches--grueling work with very few answers. Seems pretty frustrating for them. And passing on that frustration to the reader doesn't make for a very satisfying book.
    The good parts of this book were all about the dogs, their training and all that very cool information about how a handler learns to interpret the messages from his/her searching dog. I liked that part. I also enjoyed reading about Ms. Charleson's other dogs--her pomeranians.
     It was an inoffensive book that was interesting, but not gripping. I was disappointed, but not disenchanted enough to quit reading. I'd like to know more about these dogs and how they work. I'd also like to hear more stories of search-and-rescue successes!

Sex: none
Bad language: I think there were a few swear words, but not more than 2 or 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment