Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Excavation by James Rollins

     I really like James Rollins. I am starting to really like this genre--adventure--even though I have already found that the quality of the writing and originality of the stories vary greatly from author to author. Actually, there are not a lot of original adventure stories out there, are there? So I guess perhaps it's the writing that makes the real difference. And James Rollins has the touch for sure. I have liked every book I've read by him. This one was not an exception.

     This book starts out and finishes in the Andean jungle. The adventure starts when the disappointing mummy that Professor Henry Conklin finds turns out to contain a mysterious and powerful secret. Then the reader begins a Indiana-Jones-like archeological adventure that doesn't stop from the moment the dig caves in to the moment the plane lands in Cuzco.

     The book was a bit of a slow starter; it took me a few chapters to really get grabbed, but by page 40 I was totally caught.

Sex: None, although there is some sexual tension between some characters and some kisses are exchanged.
Bad language: There is plenty. I counted about 20 serious swear words in the 416 pages of this book. I scribbled them all out so I could add the book to my shelf and not worry if my kids wanted to pick it up. Ha.

No comments:

Post a Comment