Thursday, September 12, 2013

Awakening Colors by Ritu K. Gupta

I was asked by the author to read and review this book.

I'm not sure exactly what to say about Awakening Colors. It was not at all what I expected. What I expected was more action, more fantasy, a plot that moved ahead more actively. What I found was a lot of philosophy. The plot, in fact, was less of what drove the story than it was a vehicle for the author's expression of her philosophy. Which was lovely, if you like that sort of thing.

The book takes place in Canada and the main characters are Indian. The book feels very Eastern, with its long flights into purple prose and its mystics and mysteries. It was well written--it felt to me as though English were not the author's first language, yet still her command of the language was good enough for her to build some lovely metaphors.

The plot was promising: after being in a coma for 6 months, Pari awakens to find that she can read the auras that surround people. She seeks more knowledge about this new power--she reads journals left to her from a mystic and she wonders if it is safe to seek advice from the mysterious and powerful Arche. Even bigger than this, the prologue implies that Pari's new ability has a purpose, that it will provide balance to the world (the universe?). There is certainly a lot of promise for a good story here. I was especially intrigued by Pari's ability to read people and, if she intervenes, to change their lives. I liked reading about the few times she did that.

So. The plot is promising. The philosophy is plentiful but not painful. The main characters are relatively likeable. My real complaint is that the plot is barely advanced at all! I was so disappointed! I read some reviews on Amazon that implied that this book is the first in a projected series? If so, then I suppose the total lack of any conclusions in this book is understandable, although frustrating. Some specific problems: Pari seems to make progress all on her own and you wonder why she bothers with Arche at all. Arche's powers are unclear anyway. There is foreshadowing of a battle between Pari and Arche, but when that battle comes it is....a bit of a letdown. All that philosophizing--from the journals and from Arche--doesn't really seem to contribute anything to the plot. The "magic" that is at the center of the book is vaguely explained--one can sense a system somewhere, but it's never clear. It's all very wordy and mystical and vague and not at all what I expect a work of fiction to be. There are elements that seem to promise a story that just doesn't really develop.

Altogether, I didn't like the book, although I can see that it could well be a personal taste thing. I think if the book had been billed as a philosophical novel, then it would have been less disappointing because I'd have known what I was getting into--a philosophy book with the beginnings of a story attached. Because that's what this book feels like to me. If a reader enjoys Eastern philosophy, then this book may be transporting. But if a reader is looking for a story of magic, mystery, adventure and action...well that's not quite what is to be found in Awakening Colors.

Sex: references to extra-marital sex, some sensual references, no sex
Bad language: surprisingly for a spiritual/intellectual book, there is a little bit of swearing, including a slap-the-reader-in-the-face f-word about 2/3 of the way into the story. I didn't expect that one at all and it seemed oddly out of place. In fact, that whole scene, where Pari and her friend Navina discuss the sexual abilities of Arche and Navina lets that f-word fly, seemed out of keeping with the shape of the novel in general. 

No comments:

Post a Comment