Saturday, September 7, 2013

Invisible by Lorena McCourtney


     This was another of those free ebooks from bookbub! Yay! I'm collecting such a queue of e-books. And, as you book lovers certainly know, there is very little more satisfying in life than shelves (and virtual shelves) full of books to read! I can't even remember the days when I used to read a book and then need to go back to the library or the bookstore to get another one. Now I have hundreds just waiting for me. Delicious! (Of course, that doesn't stop me from visiting the bookstore and the library and adding to the queue!)

     This book was charming! It was also a Christian book, which I didn't know when I bought it. It was the perfect kind of Christian book in that the evangelizing message was not particularly heavy-handed, nor was it distracting from the story line. Nice!

     Our main character, Ivy Malone, is a 70-something LOL (as she calls herself--a Little Old Lady) who has found that she seems to be virtually invisible to many of those younger people around herself. I loved this concept because, even though I am far from my 70s, I have noticed that the older I get, the less "visible" I feel. I've heard my mom complain about this same thing. It's like our youth culture makes the non-youths sort of....disappear. Of course, that's overstating it :), but I love the way that Ivy Malone embraces this idea and uses it to her advantage as she snoops in the affairs of her young friend and neighbor who has been murdered.

     Of course, I don't usually like amateur investigators, and adorable Ivy has not changed my mind. I always think it's strange when a "normal" person actually solves a criminal mystery and gets in life-threatening situations along the way. Hm. So I probably won't read any more of these. But! Ivy was so sweet and I liked all the supporting characters as well. Ivy's voice was vibrant and clever and honest and I loved reading all about her life and feelings. I'm not sure if I've read a book from quite this kind of point of view before. I really liked it!

Sex: none
Bad language: nope!

No comments:

Post a Comment