Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Tomb of the Golden Bird by Elizabeth Peters



This is another Amelia Peabody mystery. It was okay. The main story recounted here is the discovery by Howard Carter, and his patron, of the tomb of the Egyptian King Tut. The "mystery" in this story was much less prominent and not very interesting nor satisfying--and had very little to do with King Tut. In fact, there were several mysteries going on and, unlike the other Amelia Peabody mysteries, there was no overarching plot that needed to be unraveled. In my opinion, the book was rather slow and a little too sentimental. It took me forever to get into and never became particularly gripping.

The character of Amelia Peabody is always charming, though; I enjoyed her as always. Some of the other regular cast of characters were a little more one dimensional than usual. The whole feeling of this book was almost a "goodbye" feeling--loose ends were tied up, the family dispersed to different corners of the world for different reasons....

On the whole, not my favorite of Elizabeth Peters book, but since I really like the series, it's inconceivable that I would leave this one out of my collection. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment