Friday, June 10, 2011

The Measure of a Lady by Deeanne Gist



More historical fiction, Christian style. I really like Deeanne Gist. I've read 5 by her in the last few days and I think this one may be one of my favorites. It's about a young lady and her sister and brother who are marooned in Gold Rush San Francisco. The city during this time just comes ALIVE in this book. I really enjoyed picturing it as it was then. Our young lady, Rachel Van Buren, struggles to support her family--and protect their virtue--in lawless San Francisco. She finds heartbreak, wisdom and love. I enjoyed the story very much.

This has all the critical ingredients for good fiction: growth of the characters, difficulties to overcome, romance, a great setting.... I have read other Christian historical fiction authors that I like better (Karen Witemeyer, for one), but Deeanne Gist is very enjoyable. I'll be reading more of her for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment