Friday, June 10, 2011

All Through the Night by Davis Bunn



Well hm. This is a mystery novel. Christian. Our hero, Wayne (I dislike that name) must fight his personal demons as he unravels a very tangled mystery. He finds God, belonging and maybe even love along the way.

I liked Wayne. I liked all the other characters we met too. I didn't particularly like Bunn's style of writing. It felt very abrupt, almost elliptical. He had a tough guy style that I found distracting. It took me about two thirds of the way into the novel to be able to overlook his writing style and get lost in the adventure.

I have one major objection to the faith experiences in this book. Mr. Bunn uses prayer as fortuneteller, oracle and prophet. The anodyne to all conflicts, the immediate answer to all questions. I did NOT like this, it didn't seem realistic to me at all. I also do not enjoy as much Christian novels that include actual church experiences--the conversion to a church congregation more than the conversion to Christianity. It makes the experience more cultural than spiritual. There was a bit of that going on here.

Those objections aside, this was an exciting story with likeable characters. Will I read more Bunn? Probably not.

No comments:

Post a Comment