Friday, June 10, 2011

Maid to Match by Deeanne Gist



Another work of Christian historical fiction. This one takes place on the Vanderbilt estate--Biltmore mansion--in Asheville, North Carolina. I think I enjoy the settings that Deeanne Gist writes about almost more than I do her characters. I really liked envisioning the Biltmore mansion.

Tillie Reese is the perfect maid with ambitions to rise to the top--as Edith Vanderbilt's lady's maid. She ultimately has to choose between these ambitions and a loving relationship with a good man. It's an interesting topic, actually, which has some good modern-day applications. As usual, there's plenty of scripture (none of it from the King James Version of the Bible, which is a pity) and a strong story line with very sympathetic characters. The romance is full of chaste chemistry. I liked it all!

No comments:

Post a Comment