Friday, June 10, 2011

The Mischief Maker by E. Phillips Oppenheim




This is a vintage political thriller. A young and powerful government official is involved in a scandal in London and has to leave the country. He ends up in France and gets mixed up in pre-WWI intrigue. There's plenty of mystery, adventure and even a bit of romance here.

I have fallen in love with E. Phillips Oppenheim. I tend to think of political thrillers as entertaining because they relate to current events, but I am fast changing my ideas about that. Helen McInnes writes about WWII, Oppenheim writes about the events preceding WWI. I find them both fascinating--exciting historical fiction. And the Gutenburg project makes them FREE e-books. Amazing. I will be reading all the Oppenheims that I can get.

No comments:

Post a Comment