Saturday, June 18, 2011

The Beekeeper's Pupil by Sara George



This was a gently interesting book. I had a hard time getting really interested in the book for about the first half, but then I became engaged with the characters and the story held my interest a little better. There is A LOT about bees and after the first little while my interest waned a bit. But soon the plot thickened and I was caught once again. Bees are indeed fascinating and Sara George's characters are endearing. I appreciated their integrity and the affection and loyalty they showed to each other.

This is the story of a blind beekeeper/scientist, M. Francois Huber and his manservant/secretary, Francois Burnens. We learn a lot about bees as the account of each observation is recorded by the secretary, Burnens, whose journal accounts make up this story. As he puts it, he, Burnens, has the sight, but Huber has the vision--and together they produce the foremost monograph on the subject of bees. We get a full and lovely picture of the Huber family life. We get some insight into the life of a blind man--M Huber lost his sight at the age of 19. We also follow the maturation and growth of Francois Burnens, who comes into the Huber family just out of boyhood and leaves, a man.

The story takes place in Switzerland during the turbulent events of the French revolution. It is interesting to read about that revolution from the point of view of the Swiss. Some names from history clicked into place for me as the Huber family and Francois Burnens discussed such people as Voltaire, Marat (and his famous murder), Lavoisier, Priestly... very interesting.

I closed this book with a sigh. It was a lovely book. Quiet, scholarly, insightful, gentle and lovely. I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment