Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The Grown-Up Girl's Guide to Style by Christine Schwab



I actually really liked this one! For one thing, it's refreshing to read a "style" book that's directed at anyone older than 24! For another thing, I agreed with most of what she had to say about clothing and make-up and you know how easy it is to like a book that agrees with what you already think!

I didn't necessarily agree with what she had to say about hair or about plastic surgery. But I loved her advice on clothing. In any case, it's always interesting to collect this sort of information. With our society's obsession with youth, looks and sex, it's hard to figure out how to "age gracefully" if you're a woman. I'd like to think that the eternal pursuit of slenderness, firmer breasts, finer skin, and youthful features can be left behind as naturally as age takes them away. That's not exactly what Christine Schwab advocates. She is in hot pursuit of the perfect face and the perfect hair and a slender and toned body. But what I liked a lot about her perspective is that she allows older women to dress beyond trends and styles. She acknowledges that modest and classic clothing is what is most suitable for a modest and classic woman--two adjectives that I know I'd like to describe me as I age!

Anyway, it was entertaining to read and I've added some ideas to my (large) bank of opinions. Not a book I need to own, certainly, but worth reading just to clarify my own ideas about aging and style. Fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment