Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The Anodyne Necklace by Martha Grimes



This is one of Martha Grimes' Inspector Jury mysteries. I've read a lot of them in years past. She used to be one of my favorite authors. Now I'm struck by the strangeness of Melrose Plant's help in many investigations, which seems unnatural. And I find Jury less of a serious figure than I used to. I also found her characterization of some of those that we meet in London to be stereotypical, even overdone in their predictability of speech and action. I think I compare Martha Grimes to P.D. James and I find P.D. James far superior. (I also dislike the bad language that Martha Grimes punctuates all of her novels with)

Those complaints noted, though, I found this to be an entertaining mystery with a satisfying ending (although beware of several instances of bad language).

No comments:

Post a Comment