Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Fortune's Hand by Belva Plain



This is the first Belva Plain I've read--she came highly recommended to me. But I think I chose poorly for my first experience with Belva Plain. This book was heavy handed with its message and its characters were not engaging. And I found the ending pretty depressing.

Robb MacDaniel is all set to start his teaching job and marry his sweetheart in his home town when a sudden windfall allows him to fulfill a dream--and go to law school. And this is the beginning of the end for him. He goes to law school, falls in love again with a wonderful woman and (dumps the hometown girlfriend) marries her, has a couple of kids, gets rich.... and then it all goes downhill from there.

This is a teaching book. We learn about the lure of money, the consequences of betrayal and lies, we see the growth and death of love.

I didn't like the book. I also didn't like that all the couples were lovers before marriage (no descriptions). I really liked that there was no bad language in the whole book. I always appreciate an author who seems principled in her books. I will try another Belva Plain and hope I make a better choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment