Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson


This is a book written for young adults. The protagonist is 9th grader Melinda Sordino. She has a secret that causes her pain, confusion and that makes her a social outcast at school. We see her find healing.

General rating: 3.5 out of 4. Not really uplifting, but meaningful and well written.

1. Is it plausible? Yes.

2. Is it thought provoking? Yes. Quite.

3. Is it engaging? Yes, very much. You don't find out her secret until the middle of the book, for one thing. And even though she behaves badly, she is very lovable.

4. Is it inspiring? Not really. Not depressing, though.

Language: none
Sex: of a sort. Mom (or Dad), you'll want to read it first.

My recommendation: This, I think, is Laurie Halse Anderson's first book for young adults (she wrote a few childrens books before this one). I liked it. It was meaningful without being heavy handed. Having never had Melinda's experience myself, I can't say for certain, but it felt authentic to me, although I question the reality of EVERYONE ignoring her. Or was it that she made herself an outcast even to those who may have accepted her? Hm. This is one of those YA books that dehumanizes adults (including parents), which I always feel badly about. It perpetuates a stereotype that is unhealthy, I believe. But also it was an adult who really saw through Melinda's behavior to the pain underneath. That's also significant. I think a parent might want to read this before her daughter reads it. It's a book that should be discussed. Very worth reading.

1 comment:

  1. Kim--this is the same lady that wrote Chains. I really like her! How was that sequel to Chains, by the way? Miss you!

    ReplyDelete