Thursday, January 27, 2011

Listen to Your Heart by Fern Michaels



A rather silly romance. The back of the book sounded interesting. Not so much, though.

General rating: 1.5 out of 4. Total fluff and not even well-written fluff.

1. Plausible: Probably not. Lots of co-incidences.

2. Thought provoking: Uh, no. Well, the male lead makes a big life decision based on his heart rather than his head and his sense of duty. Is this thought provoking? No.

3. Engaging: Yeah, I think so.

4. Uplifting: It was a romance, happily-ever-after. That's not depressing.

Bad language: not so much (I can't remember any)
Sex: Yes. One love scene. I think. I'll refrain from soapboxing on that.

My recommendation: Sigh. I've not read Fern Michaels before. I didn't know this was a romance. The back of the book sounds like something else. I have learned, though, that Fern Michaels is a serial romance writer. This book felt very formula to me. The prose was choppy. It was very easy to read, though. Very quick. It was sweet, there was the requisite first attraction, conflict, heart-warming co-incidences, happy resolutions, marraiges all around. Does there exist an intelligent, principled, moral romance? I won't be reading Fern Michaels again.

No comments:

Post a Comment