Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Rose Daughter by Robin McKinley


This is Robin McKinley's second retelling of the fairy tale Beauty and the Beast.

General Rating:3.5 out of 4--Basically lovely

1. Is this plausible within the genre? Yes

2. Is it thought provoking? A little bit.

3. Is it engaging? Yes

4. Is it uplifting? Yes

Language: none
Sex: none

My recommendation: I actually like Robin McKinley's first "Beauty" better than this one--it's simpler and more straightforward. This one is lovely--full of imagery, complex and rich. AND the ending is better, I think. But! It feels overwrought to me in places, especially on repeat readings. The story is buried under velvet descriptions, lyrical passages and complicated situations obscurely presented. Too many words! Despite these criticisms, though, I really do like this book. It's part of my collection of Robin McKinley.

No comments:

Post a Comment