Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Mom: A Celebration of Mothers edited by Dave Isay


This is a collection of interviews with mothers and fathers and children. It's from an organization called storycorps.

General Rating: 4 out of 4

1. Is it plausible? Well, it's reality. Certainly it's plausible.

2. Is it thought provoking? Yes.

3. Is it engaging? Yes. Reality so often is more engaging than fiction.

4. Is it inspiring? Yes.

Language: none
Sex: none (a little discussion of homosexuality here and there)

My recommendation: I liked it a lot. I felt it broadened my understanding of people--especially mothers. I am amazed at how many very strong women there are out there. It's a book worth reading and, incidentally a cause (storycorps) worth supporting. Dave Isay urges people to record their family stories. I agree. I found these stories (most of them, anyway) meaningful and engaging--and they weren't even my family! A lovely book.

No comments:

Post a Comment