Thursday, January 27, 2011

Precious Bane by Mary Webb


This book is considered a classic. It's the story of Pru Sarns who has a harelip--her "precious bane". It's really her telling of her own love story. With twists.

General rating: 4 out of 5. It's a really beautiful book, with some very sad parts.

1. Is it plausible? I suppose so.

2. Is it thought provoking? It really is. Pru describes her brother as "a strong man, which is almost the same, times, as to say a man with little time for kindness. For if you stop to be kind," she says, "you must swerve often from your path. So when folk tell me of this great man and that great man, I think to myself, Who was stinted of joy for his glory?" Very interesting idea. Among other interesting ideas.

3. Is it engaging? Yes, once I finally sat down with it, I read it all in one sitting.

4. Is it uplifting? Well... Pru's story ends happily. Virtually everyone else's life is, um...destroyed. The language is absolutely beautiful. Transporting in places. Pru's love interest in the book is a man among men. A wonderful person. Uplifting? I think that after a few reads under my belt--so I get used to all the sad parts--it could be considered uplifting. Surely Pru's point of view, her generous personality and her love is very uplifting. The rest of the story.... not so much.

Bad language: None
Sex: none. But! There is a modestly (and surprisingly!) erotic naked Venus scene. Yeah. And some premarital relations going on. All very low key. This book was published in 1924.

My recommendation: When I first finished this book I did not like it much. So many sad endings in it. But after some time and thought, I decided I did like it. Pru's point of view is steady, positive and uplifting. The prose is unique and is my favorite kind: it feels natural and flows like a dream. I was not distracted by the dialect, but some of my book club ladies were. Will I read it again? Hm. Maybe. I really want to like this book because a woman I love and admire LOVES this book. It is her favorite book. When she told me why, I could see it. So I think this book is very worth reading. Prudence Sarn is a beautiful character. Just look past the sad parts.

No comments:

Post a Comment