Sunday, January 1, 2012

The Dog Who Rescues Cats by Philip Gonzales


This lightweight, uplifting book was the choice of one of my book clubs for the month of December--a sweet, easy, quick read.

The title pretty much says it all. It's a true story of one man's dog who changes his life and who touches other lives as well. The dog, Ginny, is especially sensitive to others who are handicapped--particularly to CATS who are handicapped. It's pretty amazing, actually.

While the writing was choppy and a little stilted, the story was fun to read and was uplifting as well. It re-framed for me the idea of the "cat lady" who has hundreds of cats in her house and in her neighborhood that she feeds, and others of her ilk. This "cat man" (and his dog) and his "cat people" friends opened my eyes to the reasons that many choose to become saviors of animals. It's easy from the outside to see this behavior as extreme--I've never been one to see my pets as people like me and I don't feel converted to that perspective either. But what I do feel grateful for is people like Philip Gonzales and his friends who give so much of their time, resources and heart to take care of God's creatures. I do believe that all creatures deserve their measure of joy and I was converted to Mr. Gonzales' personal crusade and the good of it.

It was a sweet book, a quick read and a warming story. Glad I read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment