Sunday, January 1, 2012

A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens



I don't really need to review this one, do I? Although I suppose this one was a little different because it is the annotated version.

It has been years since I read The Christmas Carol--I've watched so many different film versions so often. What the films always leave out, though, is the Christianity throughout Dickens' tale--I had forgotten how religious he was.

I enjoyed reading all the explanatory notes this time too--I usually just skip over the parts that aren't familiar to me and it was good to slow down and read some background.

President Thomas S. Monson (prophet of the LDS/Mormon church) says this is one of his 3 Christmas favorites that he reads every year. I think I may make it a tradition for myself as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment