Thursday, January 26, 2012

After the Armistice Ball by Catriona McPherson

This book takes place in Scotland at the end of the first world war. Many husbands, fathers, brothers and friends are dead and money is tight for nearly everyone, but life is just starting to get back to normal and celebrations are in order--the war is over. Our story opens at the Armistice Ball given by the wealthy Daisy and Silas Esslemont.

Our main character is Dandelion (Dandy) Gilver, a 30-something mother of two. Married to the boring Hugh, Dandy is smart, genuine and good. She is surprised by her friend Daisy's request that she investigate the theft of some diamonds that guest Lena Duffy says were stolen at Daisy's ball. Lena is being very troublesome.

What starts out as being an investigation into a spot of possible fraud ends up being the unraveling of an ugly murder and the shattering of at least one family who had attended that Armistice Ball.

I liked this book a lot. I especially liked Dandy Gilver, who I found totally human and believable. Her approach to solving this little puzzle, though, was more thinking than doing and I found that rather unusual. She and her detecting partner did do some interviewing of witnesses and snooping around, but the large part of their "investigating" was just talking about what they had learned and thinking about it, trying to put it into some sort of order. I'm not sure that approach logically led the reader to the conclusion that Dandy and Alec reached, but it didn't bother me a whole lot. I followed their thinking even if I thought they were taking some leaps.

I liked the glimpse into Scottish country life. I liked the dialogue. I liked all the characters I met (except the murderer and I enjoyed disliking that one). I didn't like the ending. It was a little more vague than I like. I guess I like my solutions all spelled out. This ending was complete, but I felt left with a few lingering questions. I hate those lingering questions. :)

It was a fun book and I look forward to reading more Dandy Gilver mysteries.

No comments:

Post a Comment