Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Aunt Dimity and the Next of Kin by Nancy Atherton


This is one of the many Aunt Dimity books--I'm not sure the number. But there are plenty and they are all very nice. I liked the first one the very best.

This one was about Miss Beacham, a retired legal secretary recently passed on, and the search for her heir. It preached the idea that friends can be more family than family is. If you see what I mean. Lori (our main character and sleuth) meets Miss Beacham in the course of her (Lori's) volunteer work in the hospital and the two feel an immediate connection. When Miss Beacham dies, she entrusts Lori with the search for her missing. heir.

It was a cute book, uplifting and sweet. It was very sweet. Lori's life is just right--she has adorable and good children (they are welcome everywhere), a jewel of a nanny (who also cooks and cleans, when necessary), the perfect (high powered lawyer) husband, a fat bank account, a worthy list of volunteer commitments, a cozy house, a bunch of friends (many with just the right connections), a talent for sleuthing, and a connection with the afterworld (here's where Aunt Dimity comes in). Could life get any better than this?

It was a pleasant fluffy read. I guess I shouldn't complain that it was a little too "just so". I'm a girl who likes happy endings. But dare I say that I like them to be realistically happy? In any case, there is a place in every library for the mindless feel-good books...and this is one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment