Monday, October 11, 2010

Humor Me edited by Ian Frazier


This is an anthology of "Funny Contemporary Writing". It includes pieces from the past 30 years or so. I actually couldn't finish this because of the abundant bad language. It's hard for me to read something when I feel slapped right in the face by obscenities. I quit about 120 pages into the book (there are 300 pages).

General Rating: 1 out of 4. Please don't bother with this book.

I think that our 4 criteria may not apply to this book. Let's see.

1. Plausible? Doesn't apply.

2. Thought provoking? Not for me.

3. Engaging? A few of the sketches I read made me laugh. A few made me smile. I skipped one about the military and one about football because I found them boring. Perhaps the best way to read this book is to just skip was doesn't appeal and read what does. I just gave up because I found the bad language far too unpleasant.

4. Uplifting? Good humor can be. Unfortunately, since I quit reading when I was in the middle of something that I found unpleasant, I didn't feel uplifted. If I had read using the "pick and choose" method referred to above, I probably could have come away from this book feeling that good post-laughter feeling. As it was, nope. Not uplifting.

Language: lots of the offensive stuff.
Sex: none that I saw

My recommendation: As I said above, if you like humor, then read what appeals and skip what offends. If you prefer to spend your time on a book that you don't have to juggle, then skip this one. That would be my preference.

No comments:

Post a Comment