Wednesday, October 13, 2010

The Enemy by Charlie Higson


This review is by Isaiah, age 12

General rating: 2.5 out of 4 (it was NOT uplifting and it wasn't really thought provoking)

This book is about: There is a disease that is killing everyone over the age of 16. But not all of them stay dead! All the kids under age 16 have to survive. When kids from Holloway Road in London receive a messenger from Buckingham Palace where, they are informed, there are more kids, gardens and food, most of them will try to make it there. Can they make the perilous journey? [Note: the narration was 3rd person omnicient.]

1. Is it plausible? Yes, it is. The only thing I wondered that wasn't explained was where the disease came from. It seemed like it just popped up from nowhere and people began to get sick. And it didn't seem likely that a disease would only affect people of a certain age.

2. Was it thought provoking? Well.... it made me think: is there going to be a second book? I did wonder, where would I stay if something like that happened in our world.

3. Was it engaging? Yes. I read it in a few days. I didn't want to put it down because I had to know what happened in the end.

4. Was it uplifting? No. A lot of people die in this book. But when I closed the book, I wanted to know more. I hope there's a sequel.

Language: There was some bad language--some people were called bad names [the words that mean "female dog" and "fatherless child"]
Sex: None

My recommendation: Kids who are 14 or older could read this book. A parent might want to read it first before they let their child read it. This book might give you nightmares. But I found it reasonably entertaining. I don't think it's a bad book at all. [Note from Mom: his 21 year old sister checked this out of the YA section at the library and decided once she got it home that she wasn't interested in it, so he picked it up. He did NOT find it in the children's section which is where he usually looks. Hm....]

No comments:

Post a Comment