Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Doctor Illuminatus by Martin Booth


This review is by Allegra, age 15.

General rating: 3 out of 4 (it's not really thought provoking)

When the main characters, Pip and Tim, move to an estate in the country, they meet a 600 year old boy named Sebastian, who is an alchemist's son.

Is it plausible? Well, it all seemed real within the story. The prologue of the book said that all the rituals written about in the book were really used at one time. So that made it feel more plausible to me.

Is it thought provoking? Not really. The historical aspect of it, though, did make me think about how alchemy was really used and how important people used to think it was.

It it engaging? Yes, very much. In fact, I've read it probably about 5 or 6 times. It's one of my favorite books.

It is uplifting? Well, it had a happy ending, so I felt triumphant along with the main characters at the end of the book.

Language: There was no bad language. There was a lot of British slang, though.
Sex: None at all

My recommendation: I highly recommend it if you're looking for a fascinating book that has both history and modern times. Best for ages 10 and up--there was a little gore. It was very interesting. There is a second book which is just as good (Soulstealer), but unfortunately the author passed away before he could write any more.

No comments:

Post a Comment