Saturday, October 22, 2011

Unnatural Issue by Mercedes Lackey


Is there anything better than finding an author, new to you, whose books you really like? And, more, one who is prolific?! I REALLY liked this book.

This is actually book #6 in Mercedes Lackey's "Elemental Masters" series. I haven't read the others yet, but I just ordered #1, which is a retelling of "Snow White". I can't wait to read it.

In this book, Suzanne Whitestone, abandoned by her father at birth and left to be raised by servants, is an Earth Master. When she is 21 she comes to the notice of her father in a dark and frightening way and she must learn to defend herself against him. All this happens against the backdrop of World War One.

I don't like reading book reviews that are lengthy summaries, so I've just barely scratched the surface of what happens in this book. I found the descriptions of WWI in England, Belgium and France both deeply interesting and deeply sad. I felt sympathetic to Mercedes Lackey's characters and I felt very engaged in her storyline. The book was exciting, interesting, clean and a lot of fun to read. I am so glad to have discovered not just this series, but the other ones that Ms. Lackey has written!

No comments:

Post a Comment