Thursday, October 20, 2011

Mr. Darcy's Diary by Amanda Grange


Yes, I'm going through another Pride and Prejudice phase. I've watched the 5 or 6 movie versions I have, I've read the graphic novel, I read this one again and now I will re-read the novel itself. Seems like every few years I have to do it all over again.

I have quite a few P&P spin-off novels and they are all very similar to each other. I've read both Janet Aylmer's and Pamela Aiden's Mr. Darcy stories also, and I think that Amanda Grange's is probably the best. Not that, as I mentioned, there is a whole lot of difference between them. I like the Aylmer the least--there's way too many direct Austen quotations.

This one is sweet and relatively short. One thing I always think is strange in "diary" books, though, is when the diarist journals conversations! I am a dedicated journal writer and I'll often write the gist of a conversation, but very rarely the whole conversation in quotations and everything! I think the conversation thing really undercuts the "diary" approach, but it didn't make the book less enjoyable. It's not a must-read or anything, but it's fun if you are an Austen enthusiast. As I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment