Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Left Neglected by Lisa Genova


This was a great book. One of my book clubs chose it to read. I was interested right from the first because my grandmother had this condition after her stroke, only my grandmother was left handed, and I think that caused her condition to be reversed--she was RIGHT neglected. It was fascinating to see how the right side of her world just did not exist. She did not recover very much of her right-side abilities. She passed away this past spring.

This book was about a younger woman, a wife and a mother of 3 young children. She is a powerful executive with a busy, too-full life. This all changes after she has a car accident that causes a brain injury which leaves her with left neglect. The balance of the book (after her car accident) tells how this changed her life. We read about her hard work at recovery, the effect of her disability on her family relationships, her search to contribute to her family's finances and her driving desire to find purposeful ways to contribute to the world around her.

I listened to the audio recording of this book, so I couldn't skim over the parts that I found less interesting. Therefore, I particularly noticed all the slow parts which I may not have noticed had I been reading it for myself. And there were plenty of slow parts. I got tired of the descriptions, the side stories, the occasional ramblings. I felt they were padding. But I have to admit that, despite my occasional impatience to just get to the story, I did remain interested enough to finish the book very quickly. And as the story ended I felt that satisfaction and warmth that follows a good book. It was well worth reading and I did really enjoy it. A good recommendation from my book club!

No comments:

Post a Comment